How to Pipette Plasma in Your Lab – Finding the Right Pipette
If you’ve ever asked the question about how to accurately pipette plasma in your laboratory, then you’ll find the following information as beneficial. We recently had an inquiry requesting information about finding the most accurate pipettes for pipetting plasma samples. When working with plasma samples, the goal is to find a solution to allow you to pipette accurately without damaging the sample. In order to find the most accurate pipettes for pipetting plasma samples, you’ll need to know what volumes you will be working with for each sample and the experience your lab technicians have.
This is important because:
- Volume will greatly impact the choice options as the smaller the volume the tougher the accuracy becomes and we could be limited with few options.
- The accuracy of manual pipettes is greatly impacted by the user. Technicians with limited experience and poor pipetting skills naturally have a higher inaccuracy then skilled technicians. When you add sensitive samples like plasma or samples that can coagulate like blood and become viscous it makes it even tougher to pipette them accurately if you have limited pipetting experience.
But without knowing specifics to those answers, here are some products and guidelines to consider:
- Transfer Pipettes – Transfer Pipettes are ideal for blood banking.
- Electronic Pipettes – Electronic Pipettes with use of Wide Bore Tips to prevent plasma sample damage or low retention tips for sample recovery.
- Fixed Volume Pipette – Fixed Volume Pipettes with use of Wide Bore Tips to prevent plasma sample damage or low retention tips for sample recovery.
Electronic Pipettes are Ideal to Pipette Plasma
Electronic Pipettes are ideal, if you have the budget, for novice users as their lack of experience is overcome by the programming and reproducibility of the electronic technology. This ensures higher level of accuracy and the highest level of precision. We recommend the Picus, which is an excellent electronic pipette and we’re also providing links to a wide array of electronic pipettes and tips.
- Electronic Pipette Link – View a wide array of electronic pipettes.
- Sartorius Picus Electronic Pipettes
- Wide Bore Filter Tip Links
- CAPP Low Retention Tips
Fixed Volume Pipettes Reduce User Error When Pipetting Plasma
Fixed volume pipettes have a preset volume that can be adjusted. This provides greater precision – accuracy is still impacted by how well the person pipettes as too fast or too slow pipetting motion or inconsistency in speed can impact the accuracy. However, the Fixed Volume Pipettes are much more affordable than electronic pipettes.
There are a variety of fixed volume pipettes to explore or you can take advantage of the Capp Aero fixed volume pipette for your plasma pipetting.
- Fixed Volume Pipette Link – View a wide array of fixed volume pipettes.
- CAPP Aero Fixed Volume Pipette
- Wide Bore Filter Tip Link
- CAPP Low Retention Tips